Wednesday, November 28, 2007

GOP Debate. Yawn.

And I’m not just yawning because it’s nearly one in the morning…

So I don’t think I could let this night go by without blogging about the Republican CNN YouTube debate. Part of this is because it interests me, part is because I have six more blogs to do before Monday. But it could be worse. Much much worse.

Right off the bat, Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney got in this petty argument incited from the first question on immigration. Poor Anderson Cooper is trying politely, but desperately to keep the candidates moving with the schedule for the debate; neither man will shut up. I felt bad for him. Giuliani is backed into a corner for his “sanctuary city” immigration policy, so he jabs at Romney for hiring illegal immigrants in his house. Once everyone got back on track, it seemed that the questions came smoothly and each candidate answered on topic (for the most part).

I predicted in my earlier blog about this debate that the GOP would have the most difficulty dealing so closely with the American people in an unscripted environment. Romney made a big stink, as you probably remember, about answering the question of a lowly snowman; he suggested that the imposed snowman in a video wasn’t worthy of inquiring a potential President of the U.S. I felt that the Republicans handled the spontaneity of the video questions very well, but their answers were still rehearsed and dull. Granted, I missed the last 45 minutes of the debate; I had to go to choir, so don’t hold me to whatever happened to the end. Not one of the candidates said anything unexpected or out of their comfort zone.

Watch it. Decide for yourself.

Even though I was less than impressed with the Republicans today, I still love the idea of placing the tradition of a presidential debate in the hands of the electorate. Maybe I’m just in a Constitutional mood, but what better way to increase voter efficacy, involve a reticent generation and ensure that candidates are staying true to issues of the people? It might not be traditional, but these new debates raise the standards for both leaders and constituents. Kudos. Kudos to everyone.

Here are some articles on the debate’s better moments.

Mike Huckabee’s fantasy of Clinton on Mars.

The joke is on you New York City! Your taxpayers helped fuel Giuliani’s affair, bet you feel duped. Giuliani’s response. I guess I believe him.

A good pre-debate article.

A good response to criticisms from the “good pre-debate” article.

No comments: