Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hmm...no title today.

I’ve gotten myself into a little problem. Today is November 11th. By November 26th, I have to complete 25 blogs. I’ve done eight. Can I get a “yikes?”

However, Clinton’s lead in the polls has been drastically reduced. This is exciting news.

But for dinner my vegetarian family decided to have “veggie tacos;” veggie tacos are made with “ground beef” created from soy. It was nearly the most repulsing thing I’ve ever eaten; after some barbecued chicken feet and a terrible cranberry sauce experience in the Hassayampa Cafeteria.

I digress. But to digress, I believe I should’ve initially made a point from which to digress from. I’m pretty sure I hadn’t made a point yet.

Whatever, in desperation (resulting from paragraph numero uno), I found this article. I know, I always have random articles to read, and I’m sorry. I apologize further because this is a long article, but it’s really interesting and otherwise none of this will make sense. Try taking the test; it’s kinda fun.

I’ll first start by saying that I think the study neglects a few key aspects of a typical college education. For instance, the reason college freshman passed the test and seniors failed it; is simply because they forgot menial facts after four years. I think it’s safe for most colleges to assume that incoming freshman should be well-studied in areas of civil literacy; so of course they aren’t going to cover this material in the typical Government 101 class. I won’t deny that this basic information on the history of America is vital to anyone who claims to be an American, but it’s not the responsibility of a university to teach these facts.

So my big problem with this whole issue isn’t that universities aren’t teaching students the right information, I find it ridiculous that college students don’t take the initiative to learn or remember these things on their own. This is where I get all worked up about how ignorant the typical teenager is. I’d like to share this story; in my math class, there is this girl from Southern California. So on the Tuesday after the fires in Southern California made the front page on every major newspaper and were the lead story on nearly every nightly newscast, my math teacher told this girl for the first time that her hometown had been evacuated. After learning this, she promptly left class; hopefully to go call her family and read the paper.

Seriously? I mean, I’m really just surprised and shocked to point where I’m not even going to say anything else. Which is pretty intense for me.

I’m just very annoyed by the stereotype of college students who don’t keep up on current events. And I guess that’s where I’ll leave for tonight.

I swear to you on my life that I ALWAYS write these blogs before I read the comments on each article. Here’s a person that agrees with me on the article. I agree with this one as well, but it takes a different perspective.

No comments: